- By Pooky, Thai Intel’s economics journalist
I swear, I nearly cried, from feeling so much hurt.
- Thailand Promotes Thai Restaurant Globally:
My former life partner, went to the Thai government, for the past five years, and got loan to start a Thai restaurant in St Peterberg, Florida. The restaurant was a huge success. Floridians, it seems, just can not have enough of Thai food. Then more loan for a second restaurant and then a third restaurant.
From being just a struggling middle class in Thailand, my former life partner through very hard work for about 10 years in Florida-joined the rich and well to do crowd in Florida-sporting a very expensive home and expensive cars.
All of that, was made possible through a Thai government program “Thailand, Kitchen to the World” where the Thai government promoted Thai restaurants overseas. “No” is not unusual, for a few of the millions of Thais working globally, to take a trip back to Thailand, and borrowed money from banks under the government program, and went out into the globe, and start a Thai food restaurant.
- Global Economic Environment:
But because of the economic crisis in the states, resulting less eating out by American consumers, my former life partner, had to file bankruptcy. Again, I was devastated and nearly cried. I wanted to help so much, but I am out of a job in Thailand, having seen the publishing house I worked for folded because of the Thai political mess-hurting advertisement spending for so many years.
- The Program Re-engineering:
But back to this report, the Thai government has not scrapped the “Thailand: Kitchen of the World” program, but is pumping in about US$60 million to re-engineer the program to target global super-markets, with ready to eat Thai food.
Under the former strategy of pushing Thai restaurant, globally, Thai restaurant increased in numbers from about 5,000 to about 14,000 restaurants.
- A New Success:
For a bit of analysis, it makes sense. The Americans and the European, hurt by poor economy, are eating more at home and spending less on eating out. As a person who has lived in California as a student and working for a long time, I know the consumers, well Californian at least, love to buy ready-made meals to save money and the trouble of having to cook.
Brother, I feel like crying again.
- Thai Restaurant in Tempe, Yupha’s Thai Kitchen, Nominated for “Best Thai Restaurant” in New Times “Best of Phoenix” Poll (prweb.com)
- Thai Elephant Killed, Mutilated `For Restaurants` (spiritandanimal.wordpress.com)
- ASEAN Media: Indonesia touts ASEAN’s best “Fourth Estate” as Thai media dips into “Dead Fish Boy Predictions” (with Jakarta Post) (thaiintelligentnews.wordpress.com)
- ASEAN Defense: CIA says “Thailand weak link in ASEAN defense, ready to help ASEAN arms industry” (thaiintelligentnews.wordpress.com)
- Thainess: 5) “Hitting Facebook “Like” button on insults to Thai Royalty is against law” says Thai minister (thaiintelligentnews.wordpress.com)
- Thai Royalism: 17) USA embassy in Thailand warns of possible violence at Royalist protest at embassy (thaiintelligentnews.wordpress.com)
- ASEAN Defense: Thailand’s largest discussion board, Pantip, is “Buzzing” with Thai Intel’s CIA report (thaiintelligentnews.wordpress.com)
- Thai House Express Celebrates 25 Years of Serving Traditional and Authentic Thai Dishes in San Francisco (prweb.com)
- ASEAN Defense: Thai Defense Minister, Yuthasak, in Lao but to discuss containing China on the Mekong River? (thaiintelligentnews.wordpress.com)
- Thai Royalism: 15) Thailand on the edge of catastrophe as “One Insane Thai Royalist” can shut down Google (thaiintelligentnews.wordpress.com)