The following are what some are saying about Thailand and the risk and opportunities that lies ahead.
- Today a senior CP head went on True TV and said China was able to get its economy on track for one reason only-and that is stimulating its grassroots. He also said the opportunity for Thailand in a fast recovering China is in getting China to invest in Thailand and Thai export of fruits and vegetables.
- Today also, Bangkok Post ran a story quoting a global leading marketing research unit-and it said Thailand, with the lowest consumers confidence in Asia that is improving bit by bit, needs to focus on two things-government efficiency and political stability.
- Today also, Vietnam News, said that the Vietnam government is going to start “Establishing The Vietnam Brand” for its agricultural products sector.
- Today also, thai tourism private sector said the government stimulus package is slow in implementation, the government needs to increase its assistant to the industry, and that Thailand has a very bad image problem.
Giving due credit due-all of the above, were things Thaksin addressed in a serious way-from grassroots, to FTA with China to establishing a strong Thai Brand, to a total revamp of government and related budgeting and finance process.
Obviously it is Abisit now holding the helm of Thailand-and the messages are clear enough where to focus. But is Abisit on the right track?
- There has been no serious sign of focus on reforming the Thai political system or appeasement with the opposition.
- There has been nothing on focusing on the grassroots at a level that Thaksin did or what China did.
- There has been nothing on attracting Chinese investments to Thailand on a top level and continuous efforts.
- There has been nothing on building the Thai brand-instead the Thai Brand is being hurt greatly by the political agenda of limiting free press.
- There has been nothing, that is significant, on helping the Thai tourism industry.